Haverhill Road, Stapleford old photos

Stapy 9 houses havehill.jpg

Houses on Haverhill Road which have now been demolished

stapleford windmill2.PNG

A Windmill was built on the hill to the south of Haverhill Road, Stapleford in 1804. It ceased to be used by 1905. The sails had been taken down by 1939 and the brick base was removed in 1961. Stapleford Windmill 1932. The Willis family were  millwrights from the 1790s to the 1870s. They built a tower windmill north-east of the village in 1804. He had to promise that its turning sails should not frighten horses ploughing nearby. The mill was run by the Rawlings family. 

 
stapleford windmill3.PNG

A Windmill was built on the hill to the south of Haverhill Road, Stapleford in 1804. It ceased to be used by 1905. The sails had been taken down by 1939 and the brick base was removed in 1961. Stapleford Windmill 1932. The Willis family were  millwrights from the 1790s to the 1870s. They built a tower windmill north-east of the village in 1804. He had to promise that its turning sails should not frighten horses ploughing nearby. The mill was run by the Rawlings family. 

Stap62.JPG

A Windmill was built on the hill to the south of Haverhill Road, Stapleford in 1804. It ceased to be used by 1905. The sails had been taken down by 1939 and the brick base was removed in 1961. Stapleford Windmill 1932. The Willis family were  millwrights from the 1790s to the 1870s. They built a tower windmill north-east of the village in 1804. He had to promise that its turning sails should not frighten horses ploughing nearby. The mill was run by the Rawlings family. 

Stap40.png

A Windmill was built on the hill to the south of Haverhill Road, Stapleford in 1804. It ceased to be used by 1905. The sails had been taken down by 1939 and the brick base was removed in 1961. Stapleford Windmill 1932. The Willis family were  millwrights from the 1790s to the 1870s. They built a tower windmill north-east of the village in 1804. He had to promise that its turning sails should not frighten horses ploughing nearby. The mill was run by the Rawlings family. 

Stap44.PNG

Stapleford Recreation Ground, Haverhill Road, Stapleford in the 1960s. @Francis Frith Collection

Stap31.png

Middlefield, Haverhill Road, Stapleford. Starred grade II listed building. Designed in 1908 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Henry Bond of Trinity Hall, a Lecturer in Law. The house was later called Mount Blow, but has now reverted to its original name. Associated with Middlefield, though not listed buildings, are Middlefield Lodge, now called The House on the Hill, Middlefield Cottage and Keeper’s Cottage, all of them probably designed in Lutyens’ workshop.

71.JPG

Soldiers and medical staff at Mount Blow on Haverhill Road, Stapleford during World War One. The building is now known as Middlefield

73.JPG

Soldiers and medical staff at Mount Blow on Haverhill Road, Stapleford during World War One. The building is now known as Middlefield

75.JPG

Soldiers and medical staff at Mount Blow on Haverhill Road, Stapleford during World War One. The building is now known as Middlefield

74.JPG

Soldiers and medical staff at Mount Blow on Haverhill Road, Stapleford during World War One. The building is now known as Middlefield

72.JPG

Soldiers and medical staff at Mount Blow on Haverhill Road, Stapleford during World War One. The building is now known as Middlefield