top of page

About Stapleford, Cambridgeshire

Stapleford lies four miles south east of Cambridge. Around 2,005 people live in the village.

The village has a Community Primary School, a church hall, the Johnson Hall,  St Andrew’s Church, the Jubilee Pavilion and  two Public Houses, The Three Horseshoes, and The Rose.

The pavilion, on the recreation ground, was completely renovated in 2012 and re-named the Jubilee Pavilion to mark the diamond jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II.

The Stapleford Village Weekend, including the village show, takes place every June.

Stapleford Cambridge is twinned with Villedomer in the Loire Valley, France, near to Tours. 

Wandlebury, with the remains of a 5th Century BC Iron Age Hill Fort (a Scheduled Ancient Monument), 110 acres of woods and chalk grassland, and eight miles of meandering footpaths, is in the north-east corner of Stapleford.

The Magog Down is an area for restoration, conservation and informal recreation on the Gog Magog Hills off the A1307 road to Linton and on Haverhill Road, Stapleford.

The population of Stapleford, Cambridgeshire has grown significantly over the last 200 years. In the 1801 census there were 235 people and in 1831 464. Numbers reached a peak of 594 in 1871, a number not exceeded until 1931 when they reached 636. Since then numbers have grown steadily, to 831 in 1951, 1548 in 1961, 1567 in 1971, 1668 in 1981 and 1749 in 1991, falling back slightly to 1740 in 2001.

The estimated population figure for Stapleford near Cambridge in 2010 was 1880.

bottom of page